To complete our ecosystem, Inua Village farming is essential and critical. The objective of this is to provide enough food and variety of food to children attending our schools, empower households with skills that improve their capability to produce, store and utilize food all around the year.
This was after we noticed that there is perennial hunger across the villages where work. Lack of food affected how children attended school and their concentration in class. Parents too were not willing to participate in other activity if they were not guaranteed of having a meal at the end of the day.
Through Inua Village Farming and food security program we undertake the following-
- Inua Village School food Stores- In each school we have a food store that has capacity to feed children for at least 6months in times of emergency. The stores also serve emergency food points for families in distress in the community around the school.
- Inua Farm Kitchen garden kit- This kit is for training families on simple techniques like sack gardening, using simple irrigation techniques to improve vegetable and fruits supply at household level.
- In collaboration with https://thriving-green.com/en/we test and grow Spirulina to supplement community diet needs and fight malnutrition.
- Inua Village Poultry farm is introducing concepts of modern poultry farming to communities to increase eggs supply and lead families in income generation from farming.
What has been achieved;
- We have set up a poultry farm with over 1000 bird population to train and equip interested farmers in Vihiga
- Working with Thriving Green we have built a spirulina pond and we are currently undertaking research and tests to ensure the best quality production
- There are active stores in all our schools with food that can last two months during an emergency.
- We have set up a demonstration Kitchen garden with over 2000 stems of vegetable where communities can come and experience kitchen garden first hand.
Under this pillar we launched a kitchen garden kit for families. with this kit, parents are able to learn basic skills of integrated farming approaches. The kit utilizes sacks in which chicken feed is supplied, manure from the chicken as fertilizer, a simple home-made irrigation system to create space to plant vegetables and fruits. Working with Inua Sacco platform we have distributed over 300 packages for farm inputs to various families to ensure timely and effective planting.
Donating towards IVTG school feeding program or Inua Farming will take your dollar and invest in a place where it can grow to a fruit tree that can produce fruits every season. We are guided by a simple principle of not eating seeds but rather finding ways of growing them so they can yield more and last beyond one season. Your dollar is a seed. DONATE NOW.